Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Altercation of What Now?

The Altercation of Vira by Kenechi Udogu

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: The people of Vira have long awaited the arrival of their lost princess, Elve. Legend has foretold a season of great change in the dawn of her return. For the Maracans, she brings the promise of fortified control over their rival kindred. For the Cefans, a glimmer of hope in an existence filled with oppression.

The only problem is their princess is eighteen year old Ama Brown, an ordinary girl living an ordinary life, who has no idea that she is about to be drawn into a world where an age old battle is brewing and nothing is quite as it seems.

Review: A sometimes confusing book about a young girl living in our world who is actually a princess in another world.

On a science level (and science fiction stories) I love the idea of multiple worlds, multiple universes, other dimensions, wormholes, and the like. I will admit that for fantasy and supernatural stories I prefer the story to take place in only one world, unless there is a good reason for another world (such as part of the plot taking place in hell or heaven). I was interested to see how Ama was going to get to Vira and what she would do when she was there.

I will admit that The Altercation of Vira was not as good as The Other Slipper. I am glad I read The Other Slipperfirst since I knew the author could write well. There’s a prophecy that involves Ama and civil unrest in a nation where one group persecutes the other group. It is not clear how Ama gets to Vira and the confusion starts from there. There is very little known about the world and most of what is told is confusing. I am not sure what changes Ama will accomplish that fulfills the prophecy or why she has to do the things she does as queen.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy fantasy that takes place in multiple realms.

No comments:

Post a Comment