Sunday, August 25, 2013

It's All in Your Head

The Philosophy of a Mad Man by Steven Colborne

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: It has often been said that there is a fine line between madness and genius, and this saying finds true expression the work of diagnosed schizophrenic and philosopher Steven Colborne. This book is Colborne's first published work, and offers a fascinating insight into the life story and philosophy of this deeply original thinker.

Review: Part memoir and part philosophy of a troubled young man.

Steven Colborne is a troubled young man and it's not a phrase I use lately. He has schizoaffective disorder, which is a terrible combination of schizophrenia and affective disorders (such as major depressive disorder). As someone who suffers from depression, anxiety, and sleeping issues, I understand the problems of mental illness, but I can't imagine suffering from delusions or having psychotic breaks. What I like about Steven is how he constantly tries to get better, to feel better. He continues to search for his version of enlightenment and happiness even though the search is a hard one.

Reading the memoir half of the book was certainly interesting. Steven experiences a lot of loss, especially with regards to cancer. Steven tried a lot of Eastern methods, some of which I had never heard of, to try and find inner peace. I am not exactly sure how Christianity came into play since Steven had never mentioned it before, but perhaps he had always believe in a god. While Steven's philosophy was interesting and certainly an interesting way to look at the world, it didn't resonate with me. As an atheist, I was probably not the intended audience for this book.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those interested in mental illness with a Christian aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment