Sunday, June 2, 2013

Revenge Gone Wrong

Big Deal, Volume 1: Lust for Vengeance (Big Deal #1) by Katsura, Yuramei (Illustrator)

Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a review. 

Summary: Bank robbers, bordellos and a whole lot of bed-hopping, as British black comedy meets Yaoi in a head on collision.

Fergus Campbell is straight out of prison with only one thought in his mind, to pay back his former friend and partner in crime, Judas MacGregor for stitching him up and sending him there in the first place. What he least expects on his return to his old haunts, is to fall head over heels in love with Mikhail, the stunningly beautiful owner of the best little whorehouse in town.

After one night of bliss with Mikhail, Fergus resolves to make the blond bombshell his own. But there is one thing that stands in the way between him and a relationship with the man of his dreams. He is already married the psychotic young alcoholic, Hugo. Although their marriage has been falling apart for years, the spoiled Hugo won’t let go of his meal ticket so easily. What follows can only be a wild ride of lust, mayhem and revenge!

Review: A m-m romance with plenty of sex, murder, and revenge.

I enjoy m-m romances so decided to give this book a shot. The first thing I must say is that the illustrations are wonderful and I would love to see this as a manga or graphic novel. The dramatic story line would lend itself well to illustration. While the pictures were certainly titillating, I didn't enjoy the book very much. The story line itself was ok. I personally don't watch or read too many mobster based books or movies. I am willing to read most yaoi or m-m regardless of the setting, but unfortunately, this setting really wasn't for me.

This book still could have been an enjoyable read if not for the characters. Vinny was my favorite character. He truly seemed to care about Judas although Judas certainly didn't see it. Judas was certainly no saint, but he had a sense of humor and swagger that was mildly amusing. Mikhail was too much. He honestly didn't seem real. I found myself detesting Fergus. I'm sure Hugo wasn't the easiest to deal with, but he didn't deserve to get hit, ignored, or verbally abused by Fergus. He's also so quick to cheat on Hugo yet wouldn't stand for Hugo doing the same.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy darker m-m stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment