Saturday, June 22, 2013

It's the End of the World as We Know It...

The Faustian Host (Apocalypse Signs #1) by Dave Becker

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: Plymouth Rock is bleeding. Day has turned to night. Hundred-pound hailstones level buildings. The small town of Clement seems cursed, and the residents know who's to blame: the new kid, Tony Marino.

After losing his family and his home, 14-year-old Tony is forced to move from Florida to Massachusetts to attend Kalos Academy, an unconventional school for gifted children. Strange things begin to happen the day he arrives, and soon stories of plagues, monsters, and mystical objects surround him. Refusing to believe superstitions, Tony struggles to explain the occurrences logically, until he comes face to face with a satanic cult determined to bring about the end of the world.

Review: A delightful young adult novel that mixes Bible stories, mythology, and the end of the world.

I really enjoyed The Faustian Host. It blends mythology from different cultures so well with likable characters and scarily realistic plagues. I liked Tony although I wished he could have learned to keep his mouth shut. I was a little wary of Kalos Academy at first. Exclusive schools, especially boarding schools have become a staple in young adult fiction as of late, at least in paranormal novels. I will admit that for a school full of geniuses, many of the students didn't seem to know much. As an aside, thanks to my voracious reading about the Tudors, I know who Hans Holbein is.

I liked how the curriculum of the school tied into the events of the book without being contrived. Despite the idea of curses, Satan, selling your soul to the devil, magical stones, plagues, and a special staff, the events of the book felt incredibly realistic. If I was in a similar situation, I probably would have reacted like Tony did, not wanting to believe in curses or god or satan even when the plagues began. I am looking forward to whenever the second book comes out. It promises to be action packed.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy young adult supernatural novels with end of the world themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment