Wednesday, June 19, 2013

True Love and Monsters

The Tide Breaker by Sonya Watson


Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Summary: When it is discovered that Abrianna, an Amalgam, survived the mass cleansing orchestrated by Destiny her life becomes less then desirable since her only options are to be controlled or die.

Review: A supernatural book that actually has a different mythology, but suffers from jumps in the narrative.

I don’t believe I’ve read a book quite like The Tide Breaker. It contains creatures like wendigos, nephilims, guardians, primes, and amalgams. My favorite aspect of the mythology were the nephilims and how they once again bred with those who they weren’t supposed to (humans I assume). I was confused when it came to amalgams exactly where. I believe they are the offsprings of the nephilim and humans. I wasn’t exactly sure though and being unsure was the main issue I had when reading this book.

The book starts with Abrianna’s aunt just having been killed. It soon jumps to Graham, a wendigo, falling in lust with her and only wanting her for himself. He kidnaps and discovers she has this incredible power which has something to do with making creatures either being full blooded or not mutated anymore. Then there is another person thrown in the mix, a shape shifter that also wants her. Abrianna manages to feel something for all of them, her boyfriend included. There is plenty of action in the book, but the plot skips from event to event without any explanation in between, which left me quite confused.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would tentatively recommend this book to those that are interested in young adult supernatural novels with unusual creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment