Saturday, June 15, 2013

In Our Memories

Glimmers by Barbara Brooke

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: A simple touch and suddenly, Paige is in the past - living someone else's life, seeing the world through their eyes, and feeling their deepest emotions.

Paige used to think memories only existed in one's mind. But now, she knows better. She can't explain how or why, but she has glimmers: special moments that have remained behind - clinging to a letter, a ring, even a worn-out pair of boots.

When Paige returns from each glimmer, a small part of her has changed. Who is this gourmet cook, fashion designer, feisty lover? And how is she supposed to explain this to her family without them thinking she has completely lost her mind?

Paige thought her new talent was a gift, until…she was suddenly transported into her sister’s memory, and caught a glimmer of her secret life.

Take this humorous and romantic journey, as Paige learns about true love through the lives of three extraordinary women.

Review: A tale of an ordinary woman with an extraordinary talent.

Objects, though they are never permanent, can have strong emotional meaning. I personally have a few objects that I hang onto and would be very sad if they were lost or destroyed. What I find more important are the memories that make those objects so special. I like Paige's talent. It's a way to live another life, even if for a few moments, a way to understand other ways of living. It must be somewhat of a pain though since you never know when you will be pulled into a memory.

While I liked all the stories, Emma's was my favorite. It was like reading a historical romance novel, which I do so enjoy. Delilah's story ended sooner than I expected, but I was pleased to see how her story fits into the rest of the novel. Hailey's story was painful since I felt so bad for her fiance and also for Hailey herself. I hope she says satisfied with her decision. The one aspect that bothered me about Paige's glimmers was how she picked talents from the memories she experienced. I can understand getting a little better at sewing or cooking, but she becomes an expert in a matter of hours.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy light fantasy that takes place in the modern world.

No comments:

Post a Comment