Sunday, June 9, 2013

Plug Me In

Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman #2) by M. Terry Green


Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: Patients with fractured souls, clients threatened by deadly ancestor spirits, and now the paparazzi–it’s all in a day’s work for techno-shaman Olivia Lawson. Livvy has rocketed to the top of the shaman world, bringing old friends with her but also attracting new enemies.

Even as her career soars, her personal life spirals downward. Broken bonds and lost love finally force her to confront the terrible secret of her beginning in shamanism. Despite being attacked by dark shamans and navigating a spiritual plane that seems out of control, Livvy’s single-minded quest steers her into dangerous territory and puts her on a collision course with those dearest to her.

No longer interested in walking a fine line, Livvy discovers that–when the one thing you need is the one thing you can’t have–you’ll risk everything.

Review: A fantasy novel that blends the traditional with technology.

I enjoy a good fantasy story although I most familiar with mages, warriors, elves, dwarves, rogues, and the like. I also did play a shaman for a little in World of Warcraft. So in short, I don't know much about shamans although this book definitely peaked my interest in shamans and I plan on learning more about them. I have not read the first Techno-Shaman novel, but it didn't hurt my enjoyment of this novel. Livvy provides enough information to tell the reader about what happened in the first novel.

The blending of magic and technology was seemless in this novel. Magic and technology are usually at odds, but in this book, they work together. And when you get down to it, electricity is lightning and Livvy is a lightning shaman so technology and lightning go hand in hand. I also enjoyed the romance between Livvy and SK. It was nice to see a romance between characters that are actually human, not just perfect one sided dolls. I will admit to being lost sometimes when it came the actual shamanism but that could be because I kno very little about shamanism.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this to those that enjoy urban fantasy or fantasy set in the modern age.

No comments:

Post a Comment