Friday, November 9, 2012

Hundreds of Years Ago...

The Medici Legacy by Greg Ahlgren

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: International thriller. When thirty-something Deputy Inspector Antonio Ferrara of the Italian Polizia di Stato discovers that the seemingly random victims of a Tuscan serial killer are all illegitimate descendants of one Giovanni di Cosimo de Medici, a 15th century Florentine banker, his superior scoffs at his theory, the Italian military police caution him to leave this closed case alone on the basis that it involves an issue of "national security," and even his father uses the occasion to hector him to leave police work and return to the family art business. Undeterred, Antonio enlists the aid of Rachel Fuller, an American Fulbright scholar working on her Medici dissertation in Florence, and together they travel to America to unlock a secret that spans three continents and eight centuries.

Review: An enjoyable thriller with interesting historical elements that could get a tad confusing at time.

I'm still new to thrillers and while I don't think they will ever be a favorite genre of mine, I believe I will read them time to time, especially ones dealing with legends, myth, lore, history, and religion. I was intrigued by this book because it was dealing with the Medici, a family I wish to learn more about. The Medici do play a part in this book, but not the part that I had hoped for.

This book does a good job of leading you in one direction when the opposite is actually true. Perhaps because my mind does not work as Antoino's does, I honestly couldn't get where he was getting his connections from. It was definitely a twisting, winding road to get to the truth at the heart of the matter and I did enjoy getting there. I was not expecting the ending and it certainly was a surprise. Rachel was a decent character although she wasn't the expert that she was made out to be. I expect she was created as a character just for Antonio to get some romance which was fine. 

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy historical based thrillers or fiction relating to the Medici. 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. This sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Thrillers are my favorite to read. I just finished a really good one called, "The Sacred Impostor" by author J. R. Lankford. This a fiction thriller that is not Christian, but focuses more on religion when an infant is born with a divine nature like that of Jesus. http://www.jrlankford.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it. And The Sacred Impostor sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
  2. I will! Thanks, Natasha. I hope you enjoy The Sacred Imposter as much as I did :}.

    ReplyDelete