Friday, March 23, 2012

A Monster Masquerading As A Vain Human

Thirst No. 1: The Last Vampire, Black Blood and Red Dice by 

Alisa has been in control of her urges for the five thousand years she has been a vampire. She feeds but does not kill, and she lives her life on the fringe to maintain her secret. But when her creator returns to hunt her, she must break her own rules in order to survive.
Her quest leads her to Ray. He is the only person who can help her; he also has every reason to fear her. Alisa must get closer to him to ensure her immortality. But as she begins to fall in love with Ray, suddenly there is more at stake than her own life....
Review: Decent vampire mythology with a character I really couldn't stand.
What irked me most about this book was Sita. I couldn't stand her nor did her behavior make much sense for a five thousand year old vampire. She acted like a human a lot of the time and managed to fall in love with many people throughout the book. And of course it was all insta-love, especially with Ray (although the idea of reincarnation that runs through the book makes it a little less annoying). She's horribly vain and also kills indiscriminately even though she talks about trying not to kill or hurt anyone. She is a very disturbing character. 
What I liked most about the book was the mythology. I liked the involvement of Krishna and Hindu mythology in the book. I liked how vampires were originally formed and how a vampire's blood worked. I liked Sita's tales of other times. She always talks about how she is the birth of history and while she is 5,000 years old, civilization has been around for much longer than that. There was plenty of action in the book and many people managed to die, including people who I thought would be around much longer than they actually were. I might give the second book a shot because I am curious to see what happens next in Sita's life.
Rating:





Recommendation: I would recommend this book to big fans of young adult vampire fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment