Sunday, February 5, 2012

Review: Goodbye Milky Way: An Earth in Jeopardy Adventure by Dan Makaon

Goodbye Milky Way: An Earth in Jeopardy Adventure by Dan Makaon

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Summary: Tom is a freelance project manager with a reputation for getting results for corporations and governments. But he’s never been up against a challenge like this. The earthquake that triggered the Asian tsunami did more than kill 283,000 people. It caused a shift in the axial tilt of the Earth. But what could have caused such a powerful earthquake and its unusual tectonic activity? An eclectic group of scientists, calling themselves the Star-Slayer Team, calculates that the cause of the quake emanates from the depths of space, threatening all of mankind with extinction. Tom leads a harrowing expedition to Antarctica and discovers an ancient secret that can help save mankind. He joins the Star-Slayer Team and leads massive and dangerous construction projects in Ecuador and on the Moon. Assisted by Aieda, a powerful and sophisticated computer, the team has only seven years to develop the mechanism that will save the Earth and the Moon. With Einstein-like intelligence, and even adopting a female persona, Aieda believes her new theory governing gravity and space-time will save humanity. But can she be trusted?

Review: A very action packed science fiction adventure that had a few faults.

I must admit that when I first started this book, I wasn't sure how much I would actually enjoy it. The premise of the book sounded interesting, but the actual development of the plot was hard to believe. Everything fell into place so quickly and there were a large number of resources available and people so willing to help. I am not denying that all those people could have come together eventually, but it went way too quickly in the book. Another aspect of this book that I didn't like were the characters. They felt stilted and two dimensional. Also, I don't need descriptions of all their actions, especially the most bland. I can infer that they performed certain actions. 

But despite all that, I did enjoy this book. As I mentioned before, it was very action packed so the reader could never stay bored. As the project progressed, there were many attacks and you never knew what would come next and where. I liked the characters better as time went one although there still was that describe everything aspect going on. This book had plenty of physics, mainly astrophysics, which I love so I enjoyed that part of the book. I liked comparing my knowledge of physics and current theories to what the characters in the book mention. The ending was a little unexpected and I can't help but wonder what else got affected.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this book to fans of science fiction with a lot of action and/or science. 

No comments:

Post a Comment