Saturday, April 21, 2012

Greed and Jealousy On the Hill

The Rower on the Bluff by Lawrence Seinoff

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Summary: An out-of-control feud on a private road pits spoiled socialite, Marisa Holden, against Mark Archer, her ex-con neighbor. After Holden hires one-time, local bad boy Rick Jones to clear trees on Archer's side of the bluff they share, the treasurer of the road association is brought into the fight as well as Jones' teenaged daughter Kim, who will do anything to protect her father.

Review: A psychological thriller that shows how far people will go to get revenge.

This book switches from first person (Kim) to third person (everyone else), which was a bit odd to get used to at first, but it does make sense in the telling of the story. It seems like the perfect neighborhood, but not all is bliss and the grass is certainly not greener on the other side. It was an interesting contrast between the have and have nots. Everyone was portrayed as a human being with their own desires and problems. 

I can't believe how much Marisa and Archer hated each other. Marisa just couldn't leave well enough alone. I never did figure out what Archer went to jail for, but he just wanted to be left alone and Marisa would not give him that. Marisa was my least favorite character. Archer did do some unpleasant things, but I had sympathy for him while I had none for Marisa. Their battle slowly grew and involved many people. It finally came to a climax, which I can only assume was violent, but I never did really know exactly what happened and what came after. The book ends after that and the epilogue doesn't explain much and has Marisa in a happy time in life, which I didn't like since she didn't deserve that. 

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this to those that enjoy psychological thrillers (although it's a bit light on the thriller part). 

No comments:

Post a Comment