Saturday, April 27, 2013

Zombies Ruin Everything, Don't They?

Dead Kitties Don't Purr by Amber Green

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: People who take their shots and do as they're told have nothing to fear. Right?

The Rabies Z epidemic began and ended in Miami this past summer, didn't it? And that guy my daddy saw at the Jacksonville airport last week was just having an epileptic fit. No cause for alarm. Epilepsy always causes an eighteen-hour hazmat shutdown at a major airport.

So while my twin tours to flog her newest album, here I am, Camie Invisible, parked at this nice, safe college—as far as I can get from the infection and still pay in-state tuition. Only now, my studies have become focused on the fascinating Risa Ruiz. And she has eyes for me.

Isn't this the perfect time for the zombies to show up?

Review: A somewhat confusing tale of the zombie apocalypse.

I’ve gotten more into zombie stories recently. The zombies in Dead Kitties Don’t Purrwere humans who had been infected, but weren’t actually the walking dead. It was a decent medical explanation for zombies although I have a tendency to prefer my zombies as the undead (they can still be caused by a virus though). I was surprised at the lack of alarm at Camie’s college. It may be far away from Miami, but it’s still in Florida and zombies are very bad at following quarantines. I would have expected curfews, checks, and doomsday preppers.

I liked the relationship between Camie and Risa. I thought the sex was well done and not tacky or overbearing. I was confused at a number of points in the story. I wish there would have been more explanation, especially with the evil man who Risa knew and how everyone kept getting past the National Guard barriers around campus so easily. People would come and go at Risa’s and I am not sure how they were getting around nor how they managed to have enough food. I don’t know how long the quarantine lasted. The epilogue was also very sudden. I think this story would have been better if it had been expanded into a full length novel.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this to those looking for a story of not so traditional zombies that don't mind a lesbian couple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment