Monday, April 22, 2013

A Whole Lot of Prejudice

Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg

Summary: From the much-buzzed-about author of THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB (already blurbed by Stephenie Meyer, Lauren Myracle, and Jen Calonita), a prom-season delight of Jane Austen proportions.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single girl of high standing at Longbourn Academy must be in want of a prom date.
After winter break, the girls at the very prestigious Longbourn Academy become obsessed with the prom. Lizzie Bennet, who attends Longbourn on a scholarship, isn't interested in designer dresses and expensive shoes, but her best friend, Jane, might be - especially now that Charles Bingley is back from a semester in London.
Lizzie is happy about her friend's burgeoning romance but less than impressed by Charles's friend, Will Darcy, who's snobby and pretentious. Darcy doesn't seem to like Lizzie either, but she assumes it's because her family doesn't have money. Clearly, Will Darcy is a pompous jerk - so why does Lizzie find herself drawn to him anyway?

Review: A cute retelling of Pride and Prejudice with pride and whole lot of prejudice.

I read Pride and Prejudice a few years ago for my English class. I remember liking it, but not being heads over heals for it. So I can’t really say why I am so seemingly interested in retellings and continuations of Jane Austen’s work besides the fact that I love retellings and continuations. With that in mind (and a mini challenge that needed to be fulfilled) I decided to read this book and I enjoyed the retelling. The author managed to make the characters and story fight quite well into a modern high school setting.

How the pride and the prejudice unfolded was so perfect. Lizzie was a scholarship student and had already suffered much at the hands of rich and snobby students. As a rich student, Darcy was rather full of himself. Darcy is quick to change his mind about Lizzie though, of course, Lizzie is very slow to change her mind about him. I know this is based off the original Pride and Prejudice, but Lizzie had way too much prejudice in this book. I’m amazed that Darcy stuck around when Lizzie had such a poor image of him. I was glad they got together in the end and had a sweet ending.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this to those that enjoy Jane Austen retellings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment