Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Time Twister

The Slough of Despond by Tim C. Taylor

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Summary: In 1992, Radlan Saravanan runs a small business out of a Tudor cottage in the sleepy English village of Elstow. But Radlan was born in 2951, and when he falls in love with a local girl, he has to choose between running from his own people and condemning his lover to die.

He makes the wrong choice.

Travelling into the past, falling in love… it turns out he was meant to do these things. He’s been manipulated all along, but now he’s slipped his handlers, and Time is no longer following the right script. Other versions of history vie for dominance, and our reality is losing.

In 1992, Radlan Saravanan sparked The Reality War.

The Reality War is a two-novel series inspired by The Pilgrim’s Progress, an allegorical novel by 17th century author John Bunyan. It is both an action-adventure series, and a spiritual journey made by two people, mirror images of each other from rival realities.


Review: A mind twisting and time twisting science fiction novel.

This book really is a mind twister. I tried my hardest and attempted to follow along with all the time traveling, but I must admit to getting lost and sometimes confused. That isn't to say that this book isn't well written. It is. Time travel can be incredibly complex especially when two different reality lines are interweaving. Of course I want human kind to come out on top, but I can't help but feel sorry for the other reality (they are lizards and lizards are very cool) and don't want them not to exist.

Who's bad? Who's good? I had a number of visceral gut reactions to the story. I can't believe all that Radlan had to go through and what he had to sacrifice, but I can't help but wonder what would have happened if he hadn't married Amanda and had Jill. He's being manipulated from all sides and I cannot imagine trying to figure out who can be trusted. My biggest question (besides what started time to fall apart) is who exactly is Greyheart and what are his motives? I haven't read The Pilgrim's Progress and still thoroughly enjoyed this book. I might have to read it now though.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this to those that enjoy time travel fiction and science fiction in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment