Wednesday, February 29, 2012

A Vivid Look into Another World

Nightfall in Mogadishu by 

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: Nightfall in Mogadishu is a spy thriller and historical novel set in Somalia. It weaves the country’s history, politics and culture into a tale of international intrigue. Susan Chen, a CIA agent is sent to Mogadishu to thwart a plot to overthrow the government. She finds a nation that has lost its soul and is whirling into a vortex of violence and terror.

Review: This was an exciting thriller that showed a different world (technically country, but it is a world apart). 

I personally have not read many thrillers and they normally do not appeal to me, but I enjoyed this book. It was a nice mix of a kick ass woman, political upheaval, and a look into another country. I am honestly not sure when this book takes place so I do not know if Somalia is still like how it is portrayed, but I have a feeling it might be the same or similar. The politics added a level of intrigue that made this book more intriguing than what I think of as traditional thrillers. 

I really liked Susan. She handled herself quite well for her first assignment and didn't fold under the pressure. It is quite impressive how well she was able to handle the banking position. The story moved a little slowly at first, but quickly picked up speed as events quickly came to a head. I must admit to sometimes losing track of characters in the story and sometimes forgetting who the character was and what had happened to him or her. Despite that, the story was quite nerve racking and nail biting, leaving one anxious to find out what happens next. I would gladly read another book about Susan's adventures.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy political thrillers, especially thrillers that take place out of the United States. 

No comments:

Post a Comment