Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Not So Sleeping Beauty

A Kiss in Time by 

Summary: Talia fell under a spell...Jack broke the curse. 

I was told to beware the accursed spindle, but it was so enchanting, so hypnotic... 

I was looking for a little adventure the day I ditched my tour group. But finding a comatose town, with a hot-looking chick asleep in it, was so not what I had in mind. 

I awakened in the same place but in another time—to a stranger's soft kiss. 

I couldn't help kissing her. Sometimes you just have to kiss someone. I didn't know this would happen. 

Now I am in dire trouble because my father, the king, says I have brought ruin upon our country. I have no choice but to run away with this commoner! 

Now I'm stuck with a bratty princess and a trunk full of her jewels...The good news: My parents will freak! 

Think you have dating issues? Try locking lips with a snoozing stunner who turns out to be 316 years old. Can a kiss transcend all—even time?


Review: An interesting take on a fairy tale that combines modern and historic elements. Unfortunately, the characters, especially Talia, hindered my enjoyment of this book.

I thoroughly enjoy fairy tales and fairy tale retellings. A Kiss in Time was unique in that it involved both modern and historic elements although it doesn't really answer the question of how a kingdom gets thrown three hundred years in the future (besides making it an amusement attraction). I honestly wasn't a fan of the mixing. Perhaps another story could do it better, but I think prefer either modern retellings or retellings set in historic times. 

Speaking of mixing, I felt that Talia became too easily accustomed to modern times. She often spoke of how she wasn't a child anymore (since she was 300 years older), but I felt that she was more bratty in modern times than in the 1700s. I don't care how beautiful, smart, and talented you are! Jack was a nice enough guy, but I don't buy the falling in love in a week nor could I see falling in love with Talia. Everyone accepted the story of what happened way too easily. Also, Malvolia wasn't evil enough for my tastes. I know it's a fairy tale retelling, but everything ended too nicely.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this book to huge fans of Sleepy Beauty and fairy tales and retellings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment