Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Power of Mediocrity

The Power of Six by 

Summary: I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us. 

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together? 

They caught Number One in Malaysia. 
Number Two in England. 
And Number Three in Kenya. 
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed. 

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive. 

And I'm ready to fight.


Review: I enjoyed the first book and was looking forward to finding about the other numbers and the bad guys, but this book was pretty dull most of the time, shoving in a bunch of action at the end.


Did they really think they could stay hidden, especially when their faces are plastered all over the news? For all their powers, they didn't do a very good job of being on the run. And they certainly ran. The book switched between the viewpoints of Number Four and Number Seven. I enjoyed Seven's story because it actually had some development and interest when compared to Four's story. It felt like Four was constantly on the run for two thirds of the book. Sure, there was a lot of action, but it felt like the same thing over and over again.


As mentioned before, there was plenty of action, but the rest wasn't too interesting to me. I did like learning more about Lorien, the Legacies, and the Mogs, but some of the information that is revealed seems a bit too convenient. I was not a fan of what happened at the end. They will continue to look for the other Numbers in the next book, but weren't they supposed to be doing that in this book? They found one more person, but will it take a book for each Number to be found? As Monty Python says, "Get on with it!"

Rating:







Recommendation: I would this book to anyone who enjoyed the first book and the series to anyone who enjoys teen fighting evil aliens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment