Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Certainly Not Your Mother's Shrew

How to Tame a Willful Wife by Christy English

Summary: 1. Forbid her from riding astride
2. Hide her dueling sword
3. Burn all her breeches and buy her silk drawers
4. Frisk her for hidden daggers
5. Don't get distracted while frisking her for hidden daggers...

Anthony Carrington, Earl of Ravensbrook, expects a biddable bride. A man of fiery passion tempted by the rigors of war into steely self-control, he demands obedience from his troops and his future wife. Regardless of how fetching she looks in breeches.

Promised to the Earl of Plump Pockets by her impoverished father, Caroline Montague is no simpering miss. She rides a war stallion named Hercules, fights with a blade, and can best most men with both bow and rifle. She finds Anthony autocratic, domineering, and...ridiculously handsome.

It's a duel of wit and wills in this charming retelling of The Taming of the Shrew. But the question is...who's taming whom?

Review: Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.

A retelling of Taming of the Shrew that left a bad taste in my mouth.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the play, but I figured I would give this a shot since I thoroughly enjoy retellings and new versions of old stories and tales. Plus, I was in the mood for historical romance. Although it was common, I didn't like the sacrificing of the daughter to save the family. I liked [name] well enough. Although [name] did seem to be playing at being a tough person, she did have some useful skills and she wasn't helpless (except of course, when it came to the hero). 

I understand that people can change for the better and that some habits need to be stopped or broken, but you never want to change the essence of that person, which is what I felt that [name] was doing. And I know that is how the play is, but it bothered me when reading this book. I didn't like how [name] become a sex kitten so quickly. It's unbelievable. All the two main characters shared was sex and I did not understand why romance blossomed between them. And the true wuv only took a few weeks. One final thought: how many beautiful, incredibly fit, and muscular men who looked like Greek gods and/or Roman statues were running around in the past? And where are they all now?

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy retellings or historical romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment