Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Review: Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Barnes

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Barnes

Summary: Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it.  That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.  

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?


Review: I am wary of werewolf novels due to the ideas of dominance, dominance to the alpha, and soul mates so I do not read them too often. I did thoroughly enjoy Raised by Wolves despite a few faults.

I found Bryn's situation interesting and unique (it might not be unique in other werewolf novels, but it is to me). She was bound to the pack and could share the bond even though she was not a wolf. She did pretty well for herself while surrounded by wolves. It did irk me that Bryn kept saying that she belonged to Callum, but she wasn't even a werewolf. My favorite character was Devon. I adore him. I can understand Bryn's reaction to the trauma she went through as a kid, but the thoughts about it kept intruding so much upon her mind and it was obvious she wasn't over the trauma yet. No one can ever be fully over a trauma, but you have to move on with your life as best as possible, but obviously Bryn hasn't gotten there yet.

The plot moved at a nice pace. What Callum says and does can be a little odd or confusing until you reach the end of the novel. The ending was a little anti-climatic. I am not sure what Bryn's relationship to Chase is exactly supposed to be. I can see it being a deep friendship turning into love. I also suspect that Callum might become a love interest in future books.

Rating: 






Recommendation: I would recommend this book to fans of young adult supernatural novels and werewolf fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment