Wednesday, November 20, 2013

I Want to Suck Your Blood

Denial - The Varcolac Journals by Adele Carrington


Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Summary: "After careful consideration and contemplation involving far too much alcohol I am resigned to the fact that I hate my life. I am a single thirty-one year old woman, living alone in my two bed terrace on the outskirts of Leeds. I have no job and three failed relationships, the last ending when the bastard bit me, seriously, this guy drew blood." Faith Thomlinson's life isn't living up to expectations, her dull monotonous life had been interrupted by the wealthy enigmatic Jonathan. It's a shame that he isn't all he seems, or is that he is more than he seems? Jonathan holds a bloody secret that will endanger Faith's life and challenge everything she thinks she knows. Adele Carrington is the new name in Urban Fantasy. A truly British book that takes you on page turning journey of Denial.

Review: An enjoyable tale of vampires with plenty of sex and violence and an unusual mythology.

This was the story of a relatively normal and possibly boring thirty something woman whose life gets a lot more interesting thanks to vampires. I might have very well found Faith’s story boring if it was just the diary of a thirty something woman (sounds like chick lit to me which I don’t like). This book was told in a diary format. I am somewhat ambivalent about stories told using diary entries because there is usually so much detail told in a diary and I find it hard to believe that someone could remember all that occurred.

There is plenty of blood, violence, and sex in the story. At times, the sex and Faith’s conquests get boring, but they do play a part in the story. While I wasn’t always the biggest fan of Faith, she could be strong and do what was necessary. My favorite part of the book was the mythology. While doing research on the varcolac (I'm a librarian. I like to do research), I learned about moroi and strogoi which are in the Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead, which I enjoy.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that are looking for an unusual vampire read.

No comments:

Post a Comment