Saturday, November 16, 2013

Don't Drink the Water

Persephone (Daughters of Zeus #1) by Kaitlin Bevis


Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Summary: There are worse things than death, worse people too.

The “talk” was bad enough, but how many teens get told that they’re a goddess? When her mom tells her, Persephone is sure her mother has lost her mind. It isn’t until Boreas, the god of winter, tries to abduct her that she realizes her mother was telling the truth. Hades rescues her, and in order to safely bring Persephone to the Underworld he marks her as his bride. But Boreas will stop at nothing to get Persephone. Despite her growing feelings for Hades, Persephone wants to return to the living realm. Persephone must find a way to defeat Boreas and reclaim her life.

Review: An enjoyable retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth with an interesting mythology although it suffers from a predictable love story.

I love mythology and stories with mythology in them. Since no one believes in the Greek gods anymore, it's always interesting to see how an author portrays them and explains their continued existence in a modern world. I liked how Bevis explained how some of the gods still existed (although it seemed a bit too convenient). I also liked how gods obtain their powers. I liked that this book was a retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth although it still began with a kidnapping.

I was really enjoying this book until I figured that Hades and Persephone were going to fall for each other even though he's immortal and she's only 16. I get that she's a god, but why would Hades have any interest in her? He's also super attractive. I would have preferred him to be scarred in some way and have Persephone fall for who he is under the skin, not his looks. I also wish the Underworld was more like the Underworld instead of a modern playground for the dead. I did really like the twist at the end.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy young adult mythology books.

No comments:

Post a Comment