Saturday, October 13, 2012

Enough Action to Wave a Stick At

Isla Lacra Scar Island by John Boyd

Summary: Denver Noles is a Navy SEAL and Medal of Honor winner who inherits half an island in the Florida Keys after the death of his uncle Harry.Deciding to leave the Navy and change his lifestyle he converts his uncle's house into a bar and recruits a couple of other SEALS to run the bar, marina and boat yard and for five years they do just that, until an employee asks for his help. Her only daughter was kidnapped by Mexico's largest cartel. Denver and his buddies head to Mexico to find the girl but get caught up in a conspiracy that puts them in a struggle for their lives between Mexico's two largest cartels. Their only way out is to go on the offensive to save the girl and her family and themselves.Their hunt takes them to the coast near Cancun and eventually to a daring rescue in the Caribbean.

Review: Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

An exciting thriller with a very likable main character and kick ass Navy SEALs. 

I must admit that Isla Lacra isn't a book I might not have normally read, but I am glad I did. This book was a lot of fun and action packed. I was skeptical about how much I would enjoy this book since I did not think much of Denver initially. I didn't understand why he felt the need to explain something that needed no explaining and was worried that he would be a bit of a jerk. Happily, Denver turns out be a really great guy with a big heart who also can still kick lots of ass. 

This book was a very fast read and chock full of action. No one should ever have to get kidnapped, but it was extremely lucky for Mariana that her mother knew Denver since I can't think of a better rescuer than a Special Forces soldier. Denver and his two SEAL friends were experts at what they do, but there were a few times when I was surprised that they missed something or overlooked something. I am glad of the happy ending and am eager to read about more of Denver's adventures.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this to fans of action thrillers or fiction about Special Forces soldiers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment