Thursday, July 19, 2012

To Hell and Back

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Summary: Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she’s returned—to her old life, her family, her friends—before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can’t find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there’s a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he’ll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki’s time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she’s forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole’s...


Review: A wonderful and very emotional retelling of the myth of Persephone. 

This book isn't a strict retelling of the Persephone myth, but it does use a lot of its elements along with other Greek and Egyptian mythology. The mythology may have been used loosely in this book and not always accurately, but I enjoyed what it added to the story. Also, I'm a sucker for Greek and Egyptian mythology. 

I was worried the love triangle in this book would annoy me as they have a tendency to do in young adult books. Although Nikki did not always make smart decisions when it came to Jack, they had a sweet, caring relationship and I was glad when they decided to try a relationship again. 

The contrast is Cole. I felt sorry for him at times, but I really did hate him most of the time. I loved that Nikki was able to recognize what Cole was and what he wanted was not the best for her. Every victory for Jack was a blow for Cole. Jack says Cole loves her, but Nikki believes that Cole does not what such an emotion is. I believe that Cole doesn't love Nikki and he just thinks that he loves her. The ending was heart wrenching and I can't wait for the next book.  

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this book to those that enjoy young adult supernatural fiction, mythology, and romance. 

2 comments:

  1. I've read some mixed reviews on this one but something about it calls to me and your review just pushed me over the edge.

    ReplyDelete