Saturday, June 2, 2012

Dr. House...In Olden Times

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

Summary: Miss Linnet Berry Thrynne is a Beauty . . . Naturally, she's betrothed to a Beast. 

Piers Yelverton, Earl of Marchant, lives in a castle in Wales where, it is rumored, his bad temper flays everyone he crosses. And rumor also has it that a wound has left the earl immune to the charms of any woman. 

Linnet is not just any woman. 

She is more than merely lovely: her wit and charm brought a prince to his knees. She estimates the earl will fall madly in love—in just two weeks. 

Yet Linnet has no idea of the danger posed to her own heart by a man who may never love her in return. 

If she decides to be very wicked indeed . . . what price will she pay for taming his wild heart?


Review: A wonderful romance with an old timey version of Dr. House.

I must admit that I enjoyed this romance mainly because of the character of Piers. He was the old fashioned version of Dr. House who I shamelessly love (and think he is pretty sexy too). The author says that Piers is as far removed from Dr. House as Linnet is from Beauty. But Piers is so very much like Dr. House, which I honestly don't mind. Linnet is a little Beauty although the story is very loosely connected to what I think of as the traditional beauty and the beast story (I blame Disney). I liked this book better than the first in the series, which a Cinderella retelling. 

I thoroughly enjoyed Piers, as mentioned before, but I wasn't the biggest fan of Linnet. Yes, I know she was wronged, but I felt that she was too arrogant for her own good. The interplay between Piers and Linnet is wonderful and delightful. Many, many snarky comments. I liked that it was not love at first sight and actually took some time to develop. Piers was a bit of jerk (and being in pain all the time doesn't help), but he wasn't a complete and total, controlling ass. Everyone had a happy ending, which was nice although a bit sappy. 

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this to those that enjoy romance, fairy tale retellings, or stories with  snarky male heroes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment