Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rambling, with Guitars

Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One by Cecilia Tan

Summary: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll. Coming out and coming of age in the days of AIDS, MTV, Reaganomics, and Just Say No. Daron Marks is a young guitar player with a dream, make it big like the guys he grew up idolizing in New Jersey--or at least escape his dysfunctional family. He makes it as far as music school in Rhode Island, and the stages of Boston beckon. But it's hard to succeed from the closet.

Review: A novella that manages to ramble on for all of its short length. 

I have personally never been in a band nor do I have any desire to, but I still have always enjoyed supporting my friends' bands and I think there is something exciting and different about being in a band. So that being said, I thought I would enjoy Daron's story. I really didn't though. There seemed to be little plot and sometimes chapters jumped from one time to another without much warning or explanation. I learned at the end of the book (thanks to the author's note) that this story was a serialized story, which might help to explain some of the flaws. I personally found Daron to be something of a jerk, especially with how he leads one girl on. 

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this story to those who enjoy band/music fiction and who don't mind a bit of m-m (there are only a few scenes of it and they are not very graphic).

No comments:

Post a Comment