Sunday, March 18, 2012

Action, Romance, and Clothes

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar by 

Summary: In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous. 

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves. 

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.


Review: A fun novel with action, romance, plenty of clothes and Tesla. 

I personally wasn't the biggest fan of the first novel. It was a decent read, but nothing spectacular. I decided to read the second because it was offered on NetGalley and I loved the cover. Yes, I'm a sucker for pretty covers. Plus, I love the dress she is wearing. I wound up liking the second book better than the first even though Jack Dandy wasn't in it. I hope he shows up in the third book. Griffin, Finley, and Jack is one love triangle that I don't mind. 

I liked Finley much better now that her personality is whole. I liked all the characters this time around although I got sick of hearing about Emily's ropes of hair. I hope Griffin has come to terms for his feelings for Finley. I liked that he stopped trying to protect her like she was some damn fragile butterfly. The villain was dastardly. And it was pure fun to have Tesla play a role in the story. The dynamics between the characters became more obvious in this novel. There was plenty of action, an unexpected twist, and satisfying justice. I did see the plot twist coming, but it was still very satisfying when it did occur. The novel didn't feel as steampunky as the previous one. The one thing that did irk me quite a bit was the descriptions of Finley's clothes. I honestly don't care what color her corset was or how long her pantaloons. 

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this to who enjoyed the first novel and those who were on the fence about it. I would recommend the series to fans of young adult steampunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment