Saturday, July 20, 2013

Cats and Dogs and Bunnies and Lizards and Opossums

Puppalicious And Beyond by Pamela Fagan Hutchins


Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: Do you rank Where The Red Fern Grows along with Wuthering Heights amongst your favorite books of all time? All Creatures Great and Small with Pet Sematary? If so, chances are you get it: there’s something magical about giving literary immortality and voice to the nonhumans that capture our collective imagination. If these are the stories that glue you to the page, then Puppalicious and Beyond: Life Outside The Center Of The Universe is the book for you. Set in the Caribbean and Texas, it tells the sometimes true and sometimes fictional tales of the magnificent and interrelated creatures – natural and supernatural -- that passed through the author's life, bringing her delight, fright, and every emotion in between.

Review: An enjoyable collection of stories about animals and the relationships humans have with them.

I love animals. I have a tendency to love the less furry and more spiky or scaly sort of animals. My favorite animals are manta rays, whale sharks, and bearded dragons. I also love frogs, reptiles, lizards, snakes, spiders, insects, fish, and turtles. I like cats and dogs along with wolves, birds, and owls. The stories in this book focus heavily on dogs with a smattering of cats, lizards, frogs, bunnies, and an opossum. The stories really show the love and devotion humans can have toward their pets and animals in general.

While I enjoyed all the stories, my least favorite story was the one about the frogs. I love frogs and I hated reading about how many frogs were killed. Frogs have a right to live too. One of my favorite stories was about the gecko on the glass. I found it cute how a female appeared and then downright adorable when babies were born. I love lizards. The most heart wrenching story was the story about Petey. It was hard to read due only to the content and I was hoping for a good ending.

Rating: 







Recommendation: I would recommend this book to animal lovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment