Sunday, June 3, 2012

Accountants Have It Rough

Unbalanced: Accounting Tales by Lawrence Seinoff

Disclaimer: This book was received from the author in exchange for a review. 

Summary: In a world dominated by greedy clients, IRS agents, peer reviewers, and Napoleonic managing partners, the burnt out accountants inhabiting these stories seek retribution and redemption.

Review: A collection of short stories in which accountants get revenge on those that wronged them.

I don't know how many accountants actually feel this way, but it seems like a very thankless job with people always wanting to take advantage of you. These short stories focus on revenge and although I am not an accountant, I assume that the revenge the accountants enact on their clients wouldn't go as unpunished as it does in the stories. Since I am not an accountant I do not get a lot of the terms they use nor do I exactly know what they mean or their implications. I think an accountant is probably the best audience for this book. 

As mentioned before, I was a bit confused by some of the concepts in the stories so I might not have the gotten the full impact of the actions taken. Everyone is so terribly disgruntled and unhappy with their lives, which leads to people eager to seek revenge in any way possible. Most revenge makes logical sense, except for one story where it gets wildly out of hand. A lot of these stories are connected and share the same characters. I must admit that I had trouble keeping track of all the characters and how they were connected.

Rating:







Recommendation: I would recommend this to those that are accountants, those in a similar profession, or those that enjoy stories about revenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment