Monday, March 18, 2013

Dry as a Bone

The Confederacy of Heaven by Margaret Taylor

Summary: There has been no rain for two hundred years. Nasan Rattlingbones has been exiled from her clan and left to fend for herself in the waste. She discovers she may be at the heart of a heavenly conspiracy involving the curse on her world.

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a review.

Review: An interesting fantasy with unique elements and a realistic main character.

This book was a collection of different elements and genres although fantasy was the main genre. The idea of no rain for two hundred years was an interesting one although I wondered how anyone could have survived without water. It does turn out that there is snowfall, but no water, which does confuse me quite a bit. I also wasn't sure how people still had electricity (the townies) after 200 years nor did I understand how Nasan understood certainly technology so well. The world was not as primitive as I expected.

I really liked Nasan. She was a warrior who doubted her skills and wasn't this incredibly strong super bad ass warrior. She was a very realistic character. The story focuses on her journey and her strength of character, not how attractive she is or how unbelievably talented she is. My enjoyment of this book did wane a little as the book progressed due to what felt like needless complications and plot devices. I am glad that there was a happy ending and I would love to read more about the universe and Stars.

Rating:






Recommendation: I would recommend this to those that enjoy fantasy with elements of dystopia and science fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment