Saturday, February 23, 2013

The Super Special Moron

The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

Summary: Newly anointed with demon-fighting powers and suddenly able to hear the thoughts of her hilarious Jack Russell terrier, a preschool teacher finds a whole new world of dark and dangerous, including a sexy shape-shifting griffin she's not entirely sure she can trust.

Review: A confusing plot, a whiny main female character, and the standard “I shouldn’t trust you/like you/love you, etc, but you’re hot so it’s ok” male character.

I really wish the plot was clearer and at least some things explained. It really hindered my enjoyment of this book when I couldn’t understand why something was happening or why Lizzie was doing this, but not that. My biggest questions were: why did she have to be thirty before she came into her powers? Why can’t witches kill demons and why does their magic seem to be so ineffectual? What made Lizzie so special (besides the seemingly requisite of main female characters being super special)?

I didn’t like Lizzie. She whined so much, complained about her adoptive parents (whom I suspect had a lot more reason to complain about her), was ungrateful, and of course fell for the person who her instincts told her not to trust. I get that hot guy is hot, but what else? Just because your body had a physical reaction, doesn’t mean you should keep trying to get in the hot guy’s pants if your instincts warn you away. People have been seriously hurt and killed in real life when they don’t trust their instincts. Lizzie’s an idiot.

Rating:






Recommendation: 
I would recommend this to big fans of supernatural/paranormal fiction with romance involved. 

2 comments:

  1. This book and me didn't get along for many of the reasons you described in your review. But my friends loved it. I feel so alone sometimes, LOL.

    ReplyDelete